Though the modern marketer has many tools in their tool box, email remains one of the most effective ways to engage and nurture leads throughout the marketing funnel. Now that 2018 is here, it’s time to start thinking about how you can optimize your email marketing campaigns for better results. Below are just four ways that you can get started with your email marketing optimization:
Email Marketing Hack #1 – Optimize your email marketing for mobile devices.
While mobile-friendly design used to be optional for brands, it has become a necessity in today’s competitive business climate. An increasing number of consumers are not only using their mobile devices to help them make purchasing decisions, but they are also making actual purchases from their smartphones or tablets. This means that a seamless mobile experience is essential if you want to improve online sales.
Email marketing plays a huge role in lead nurturing, which ultimately impacts your online sales. A round-up of 2017 email marketing usage data from Litmus shows that nearly half of all emails are opened on smartphones or tablets. That means that if you aren’t creating email marketing messaging and design that’s optimized for mobile devices, you are definitely missing out on the opportunity to reach and engage more leads.
Here are just a few ways to optimize your email marketing for mobile devices:
- Use a responsive email template. If you’re using an email service provider, you should have a number of options for responsive email templates. These templates make it easy to ensure that your emails can effectively be read on smaller screens.
- Keep your design simple. Avoid using too many images or large image files as these can affect the load time. Not to mention, they may be difficult to view on a smaller screen.
- Develop body content strategically. You only have so much space to capture your reader’s attention and communicate the value that you have to provide. Keep the content brief and make your points clear.
- Make sure there’s a clear CTA. The call-to-action is an important part of your email marketing and making this visible to the mobile reader is vital. Create a clear contrast between body copy and the CTA. You may even want to use a CTA button instead of a hyperlink as a large button can be easier for mobile users to click.
Email Marketing Hack #2 – Provide useful information that goes beyond traditional marketing messages.
When it comes to communication from brands, the modern consumer wants more than just promotional material. Instead, they are looking for valuable information that helps them better understand their challenges and make more informed purchasing decisions. Rather than trying to create email messages that sell to your audience, you need to instead engage them in a more authentic way.
If you want to build a healthy email list full of active subscribers, you will need to create the type of content that keeps them engaged over time. Here are just a few of the different types of useful content that you can provide to subscribers through your email marketing:
- How-To Content – How-to content is a great way to educate your audience while working to build a stronger connection with consumers. Whether it’s how to get the most out of a product or how to determine what product you need, this type of content can be a game-changer.
- Product or Gift Guides – Ecommerce brands can develop product or gift guides to help consumers better understand which products are right for them. Guides are great content to deliver in your holiday email marketing campaigns.
- Tips and Tricks – Depending on your target audience’s challenges and interests, you can create tips and tricks to help them be more successful toward achieving their goals. A monthly tips and tricks email can be a great way to generate excitement for your upcoming emails.
Make sure that the content that you deliver through your email marketing campaigns is relevant to your audience’s needs, challenges, and interests. You should also work to create content in a voice and format that appeals to your target audiences.
Email Marketing Hack #3 – Segment your email lists to improve relevancy.
Segmenting your email list is one of the best ways to ensure that your subscribers are getting the information that is most relevant to them. In fact, according to data from DMA, in 2015, 77% of email marketing ROI came from email marketing campaigns that were segmented, targeted, and triggered.
Here are just a few ways that you can segment your email marketing list to provide more valuable and relevant content for your subscribers:
- Buyer Persona – Each of your buyer personas has different needs, behaviors, challenges, and value propositions. It’s important that the email content they receive speaks to these unique characteristics.
- Past Purchases – Another great way to segment your lists is based on the past purchases that a buyer has made. By looking at this buying behavior, you can deliver relevant content on complementary products or promotions for upsell opportunities.
- Content Topic – You can also segment your email list based on the types of content that your subscribers have shown the most interest in. This helps ensure that they get more of the content they want and less of the content that may not be relevant to them.
- Sales Cycle Stage – Customers need different types of content and engagement based on where they are in the buyer’s journey. By developing lead nurturing workflows for each level of the sales funnel, you can provide more relevant content and take advantage of relevant engagement opportunities.
It’s important to remember that the more information that you gather from your email subscribers over time, the better you will be able to effectively segment your email lists and deliver content that’s relevant and effective to these audiences.
Email Marketing Hack #4 – Test email campaigns to see what works best.
Unfortunately, there is no right way to create an effective email marketing campaign. What works for one audience or one goal may not work for another. The best way to find out what works for your brand is to test different elements of your email marketing campaigns to see what produces the best results. The more that you can learn from your mistakes and successes, the more strategic you can be about future campaigns.
Before you start creating new campaigns for 2018, make an audit of your previous email marketing campaigns. Look at the content metrics for both your most successful email campaigns and those that didn’t do so well. Try to identify trends in your successful campaigns as well as differing factors that may have impacted your results. Use this information to create new campaigns based on the types of subject lines, content, and other characteristics that contributed to your success.
As you continue to create new 2018 campaigns, consider A/B testing your emails. Create two versions of your email with one differing characteristic. For instance, you might use the same body content but change the subject line. Then, monitor both emails to see which performs better. This will help you determine what works best for your audience.
Not getting the results you expected from your email marketing campaigns? The answer may not be as easy as you think. Whether you already have a healthy email list and campaign ideas or you’re just getting started, let SevenAtoms help you optimize your email campaigns so that you can get the most out of your marketing spend.
If you’re ready to get serious about your email marketing, contact us now.