An industry that continues to change is search engine optimization (SEO), as Google and other search engines continually search for methods to enhance their algorithms and ensure that consumers receive the best results possible.
In this blog post, we will explore the top SEO trends that are shaping the digital marketing landscape in 2023, like local SEO, which has emerged as a vital trend for businesses targeting specific geographical areas. Staying updated with these latest SEO trends is crucial for businesses. Along with these SEO trends, brief knowledge of marketing strategies can also help you gain leads in your local markets.
However, whether you are looking to handle your own marketing or you’re a marketer yourself, it’s crucial to know the top SEO trends and ensure you are using the tools and techniques correctly. To help marketers in 2023, we’ve compiled a list of the leading SEO trends.
The Top 13 SEO Trends for Marketers in 2023
1. Voice and Mobile Search:
Last year, nearly 55% of all searches were conducted on a mobile device, and as more people start using mobile devices for daily necessities, that percentage will rise. Therefore, optimize your site for mobile and get ready for a huge increase in traffic from mobile – or, rather, if your site isn’t optimized for mobile, it will suffer in traffic compared to your competitors.
On top of this, an increasing number of people are using Voice Search Engines like Google Assistant and Siri, and many use mobile and tablets for voice searches. This is a significant SEO trend because you must ensure your website appears in the top search results for those voice searches.
2. Google E-E-A-T:
In its latest update on search quality rating guidelines, Google has emphasized its E-E-A-T score, which stands for Expertise, Experience, Authority, and Trustworthiness. Google wants to know if the content on a website is reliable and relevant.
The E-E-A-T guidelines now include the “Experience” component. Google advises that in order to be ranked more highly, websites, blogs, and social media pages should regularly post content, give a lot of background on their founders, and provide value to the community.
How can you show that you have knowledge, skill, credibility, and trust? Numerous ways:
- Deep dives, case studies, and other content types driven by data can be used to cover topics at an expert level.
- Publish frequently, providing new information and maintaining a regular publishing schedule.
- Use social media sites like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook regularly.
- Be transparent about your expertise, including author credentials and testimonials, if applicable.
3. Video in Search Results:
Another SEO trend in 2023 is that Google continues to prioritize video content, particularly YouTube. For instance, search for a keyword like “how to tie a scarf” on Google, and you’ll see a carousel of related how-to videos in the search results.
With more people watching videos, it is crucial to have a video on your website to rank at the top of Google. When someone is searching for something using voice, they are more likely to listen to a video result instead of just reading text.
Below are some tips for video optimization on your website.
- Optimize your title, tags, and description: The title, tags, and description of your videos should be in line with SEO best practices so that when Google crawls your site and looks for video content, it finds what you are looking for.
- Include closed captions (CC): Make sure your videos have closed captions and subtitles so that viewers can watch them whenever they want, even if they want to turn the volume down or are in a noisy environment.
4. Tweaking Content for “People Also Ask”:
You can tweak your Content in Google Search results by adding questions and answers. In fact, 43% of search queries now include a “People Also Ask” (PAA) box, so this is an important SEO trend to follow in 2023.
With an important place at the forefront of the SERP, PAA starts with question words such as “what,” “why,” and “when,” so incorporating questions and answers into your content is a good idea.
You might also want to add an FAQ section at the end of your post. By reading the FAQ section, a potential customer will have access to more details about what you are selling. This provides the reader with a summary of important points and also beneficial SEO.
5. Featured Snippets and Zero-Click Results:
Text excerpts called “featured snippets” are shown at the top of search results pages. These snippets are automatically extracted from web pages in Google’s index to offer quick, practical responses right in the search results. They provide direct answers to users’ search queries in this manner, without the user needing to visit a new site.
While you may think that this might hurt you – people not needing to click deprives you of a site visit – in reality, having the featured snippet, which sits at the top of Google’s and Yahoo’s first page of search results, means people are much more likely to visit your site to learn more.
Tips to optimize for featured snippets:
- Use relevant keywords: When creating content for featured snippets, you need to use relevant, recognizable keywords.
- Add headers: Break up the content on your page and make it easier to read. Titles will allow you to better organize the content on your page.
- Keep it short: Limit the amount of text in the section you’d like to be a featured snippet to keep your content from exceeding the 40 to 60 words limit.
- Include a list: Adding a list of features to your page increases the chance that featured snippets will appear on the first page.
- Format your content: Provide your visitors with formatting options to ensure everything looks clean.
6. AI Content and Content Writing Software:
A.I. content will be an important trend in search and marketing. What is AI content? It is software that writes text for you. No, we don’t mean you should have a robot write all your blog posts, but you should use these machine-learning systems to make human-written content better.
These programs use advanced algorithms to rewrite sentences and into your target language, helping you create grammatically correct content even in other languages (though languages other than English are imperfect, they’re increasingly accurate) while increasing keyword density and focusing on the core topic.
Another benefit of using AI to enhance your content is that it gives you more time to focus on other things like SEO, email campaigns, social media marketing, and sales calls, allowing you to have a more balanced workload.
7. SEO Automation:
The automation of SEO is already an ongoing trend, and it will play a more prominent and significant role in the future. What is an SEO automation tool? These tools, broadly speaking, are software that you can use to analyze and update your website automatically.
SEO automation tools take much of the significant keyword research and reporting functions out of your hands and do them for you. They will crawl your website periodically to check for outdated content, identify broken links, ensure that you follow the latest crawl best practices, and more.
Aside from providing high-level reports on everything from page-level meta descriptions to title tags, they will work on updating those parts of your site that need updating to improve search engine rankings.
8. Local SEO:
Another important SEO trend in 2023 is that local SEO will become more important. Local SEO means your website is optimized for searches in a specific geographic area. This means it must be highly local and tailored to the local business.
Local SEO isn’t just about optimizing pages and links – it’s about understanding where your customers are searching and catering your content to the target audience. As an example, if somebody needs a plumber in Tacoma, Washington state, USA, you want to optimize your website for searches from people in Tacoma. You don’t want to be advertising plumbing services to people in Spokane, to people in Washington D.C., or to people in the UK.
This will be an important trend because, more than ever before, people are choosing the location of their business over other aspects of the company. With this comes an increased need for local SEO.
9. Image SEO Revitalized:
Image SEO is an important trend because, now more than ever, people prefer to use images over text to communicate and share information. Images help users understand the data even more, and various tools make it easier for people to share pictures on social media and other platforms.
Google likes to see alt text on every image on your page, and they also like to see image URLs that can help users find more relevant information. Optimizing your images with a few basic SEO tactics can send more traffic to high-quality content and improve overall performance.
10. Search Intent:
Search Intent is a significant factor to consider; it directly affects how people search for things and how they interact with your content. Search intent is, in short, the reason why people search for something.
With search intent, you can connect with an audience by providing them with better and more relevant content that matches their needs. There are four types of search intent:
- Navigational: People want to find information to get somewhere. They aren’t looking for something new or different; they want an answer.
- Informational: This type of search intent relates to people looking for information to understand a topic better. They aren’t necessarily looking to buy; they want to learn.
- Transactional: These are the people looking to buy something altogether. They aren’t looking for a particular product; they are just ready to buy.
- Commercial: Commercial intent appears when consumers contrast goods or services — such as prices — before purchasing. People with this type of search intent are looking for pros and cons before making a choice.
11. Increased Emphasis on the Author’s Authority:
The increase in the ranking of auto-generated content in the SERPs is another factor contributing to Google’s emphasis on user experience. Google wants to ensure that by 2023, the content that ranks was written by actual people with actual viewers in the forefront.
What can you do to increase this year’s creators’ authority and experience? In the first place, make sure the authors of your content are, in fact, subject matter experts. Add to their knowledge after that by doing the following:
- Include author bios: Bios allow search engines to find out who wrote an element of content and provide another means for visitors to determine that person’s authority.
- Create author pages: Having author pages allows other search engines, like Bing, to identify your author and the authority of the content.
- Link your creators’ social media accounts: Having links to your creators’ social media accounts helps to enhance their authority.
- Include material from experts: Creating content that includes insights from other credible authors or experts will strengthen the authority of your creator’s authority and increase your own.
12. Product SEO:
With increasing numbers of buyers switching to the Internet for product and service information and purchases, marketers in 2023 must do everything they can to ensure that their products are at the forefront of search results.
The search engine provides additional information on the products and services it has indexed in its Google Product Search directory. Using this kind of data allows you to create more in-depth content, and optimizing your content around your product is crucial. It involves:
- To aid Google Images in identifying and displaying relevant pictures from search results, and add structured data to product pages.
- Add extra details like FAQs and drop-down menus to enhance your product page.
- Include product details, high-quality images, and 3D modeling to make it easier for buyers to find and comprehend your products.
- Finally, highlight feedback from users. They are critical because many customers read reviews before making purchases.
13. Link Building for SEO:
SEO link-building as a strategy has been used for the longest time, and this is only continuing. It continues to be a tried and true search engine optimization method for first-page placement.
To reach new pages on your blog, Google crawlers and other search engines may require an appropriate link structure. A strong link structure enables search engines to crawl fresh content, index it, and rank highly. Therefore, you should try to get links to your content from
Furthermore, link building can help improve your search rankings in the long term if you know how to do it correctly. When you build links for SEO, be sure to focus on white hat links instead of spam-diluting junk links.
With technology advancing all the time, it is difficult to predict the future of SEO. However, as we have seen above, in 2023, voice search optimization, Google E-E-A-T, SEO automation, image SEO, featured snippets, product SEO, and local SEO playing a key role in search engine optimization will be the top trends that marketers need to focus on. By implementing these trends in their digital marketing strategies, marketers can improve their search engine rankings, drive more website traffic and ultimately achieve their business goals.